Quantcast Wilmington Divorce Attorney

Parenting Coordinator

Parenting Coordinators in North Carolina are court appointed to work with families involved in high conflict child custody cases.

child custody & visitation

What is a Parenting Coordinator?

A Parenting Coordinator is an impartial professional who helps separated and divorced parents improve their co-parenting skills and solve problems involving their children in high conflict child custody disputes. They are court appointed and granted certain powers and responsibilities by the Court. High conflict custody disputes are characterized by a pattern of any of the following:

  • excessive litigation;
  • anger and distrust between the parties;
  • verbal abuse;
  • physical aggression and threats of physical aggression; and
  • difficulty communicating about the minor children.

How can a Parenting Coordinator help me?

When parents have difficulty co-parenting, a Parenting Coordinator can help the parents resolve disputes and improve their co-parenting skills. This helps protect the children and saves the parties the expense of going back-and-forth to court over petty issues.

Are Parenting Coordinators an alternative to Court?

No. You still need an attorney and a court order establishing child custody and child support.

Who are Parenting Coordinators?

To qualify, a NC parenting coordinator must:

  • Hold a master’s degree in psychology, law, social work, counseling, medicine, or a related subject area;
  • Have at least five years of related professional experience;
  • Hold a current license in the parent coordinator’s area of practice;
  • Complete a minimum of 24 hours of required training in topics related to the developmental stages of children, the dynamics of high-conflict families, stages and effects of divorce, problem solving techniques, mediation and legal issues; and
  • Attend parent coordinator seminars providing continuing education, group discussion, peer review, and support.

What does a Parenting Coordinator Court Order Look like?

The parties may agree to have a PC appointed. See the sample Parent Coordinator Court Order that appoints the PC by Consent. A Court may also appoint a PC after a hearing even if the parties don’t want the PC.

Mark Spencer Williams, Esq. is qualified as a Parent Coordinator in New Hanover County.